Meet artist Si Black and her inspiring story!


I am really happy to introduce you to this inspiring Australia based artist Si Black. In this interview, you get a great insight into her art, her thoughts and on the road to where she is today. I was inspired and I think you will be too. 


 Could you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?

I was born overseas and travelled to many countries before settling in Australia as a young adult. I have always been a creative person but like a lot of creative people, I had to overcome a lot of unfortunate childhood circumstances that sent me down a different path than I dreamed of as a child.

It took me a few years to find that path. I have several university degrees ranging from  bachelor degrees in Liberal Arts, Science, and Botany. I plan to return to university in a few years to earn a master’s degree and a doctorate. Thanks to my inquisitive nature, university studies, and frequent travels, I managed to learn a few languages. I’m not fluent, but I can hold a conversation in five languages.

I was considered a somewhat gifted child and placed in advanced art classes throughout my childhood, but I felt my talents were lacking in comparison to others so I did not pursue art at university. It took a cancer diagnosis and long recovery to start drawing again. Every time I took the high doses of radiation, I could not be near anyone for a period of time. As a result, I spent a lot of time isolated in my room and was encouraged to start drawing because I was going stir crazy, so I did. That was all it took and it was as if I never stopped.

Ruby, mixed media (Powdering/Graphic Art overlay) on artist stock


Can you explain more about the type of at you excel in?

I excel at graphic pencil drawings and two original art forms: a medium of creation that I call Powdering and a cross of mediums that I call Anime Figuratives.

Powdering is dry powder art. I have a specially modified paintbrush, of my own design, that I use to paint dry powder onto either canvas or artist paper, using several techniques, such as hatching and cross-hatching. It gives the artwork a really unique effect and most people can’t believe it was created with dry powder.

Anime Figuratives is usually created with graphic pencil and I sometimes add a touch of Powdering to enhance certain features. I create a figurative of a person and then I adjust the face so that it resembles a realistic anime features, generally the face. People who are familiar of anime and manga generally find it very fascinating.



Midnight Dreary Negative, mixed media (Powdering/Graphic Art overlay)
on artist stock


When did you first, discover you had some very creative talents?

As a very young child (about 3 years of age), I recall my artistic elders discussing how impressive it was that I added a lot of details to my drawings. After I started school, I used to draw every spare moment I had. It wasn’t long before I could draw a 2D drawing of anything. Someone mentioned that I needed to learn how to shade and that’s when I started to spend more time at the library to study the art books. I would try to mimic what I saw or read. Slowly, my skills started to develop to the point that by the time I was 14 years of age, I could draw anything in great detail, but I never thought it was good enough. 


Midnight Dreary Red, mix media (Powdering/Graphic Art overlay) on
artist stock

What’s the biggest experience art has given you?

Art has given me the ability to cope. It is so easy to loose myself in the art I was creating, which is so easy because my mind never slows down. I’m always asking, what if? Or why not? Art gives me the outlet to answer those questions, whether it’s my creation or the creation of someone else.  

Lynx, Keeper of Secrets, Powdering on canvas

 Are you currently, working on any specific projects?

       Yes. I am experimenting with an oil painting. I have not worked in oils since I was a teenager. I am also working on several pet portrait Powderings and a graphic pencil skull piece. 

Lil C, Graphite Pencil on artist stock

 As I understand from your website you are part of a group of artists, can you tell us more about the work you do and the plan you have?

Codename SIC is a collective version similar to Banksy. We all prefer to reveal very little about ourselves so we use codenames: Si Black, Rubinrot, Beibīburū, Té Verde, Silver, and Smaragdine. Each of our artists specialize in a different medium, with our main focus on graphic art, tattoo/T-shirt/logo designs, caricatures, cartoons, traditional paintings, such as oil paintings, mixed mediums: Anime Figuratives, original mediums: Powderings, lithic art: flint knapping, and we even have writers: bloggers, online contributors, and a soon-to-be novelist.

We mainly work on custom orders through Codename SIC, but many of us additionally do freelance work. We are looking into upgrading our website this month and many of us plan to dedicate more time to promote our works through galleries and more mainstream pieces.  


Electric Heart, Powdering on canvas

Do you have a particular favourite among your work?

Wow… That’s tough to answer. I would say that I have two favourites. A Powdering I painted of a beautiful ginger Cavy and a mixed medium fantasy piece of a dragon’s eye would have to be two of my favourite creations. 

Reke, The Strong Hearted, mixed media (Powdering/Graphic Art overlay)
on artist stock


 What do you hope to achieve over the next couple of years?

I would like to see our collective creative works go more mainstream so that our team can continue to grow. I love it when our artists work together to create something completely different. We are always learning different techniques for ourselves and from one another because of our diverse talents.  

Lil O, Graphite Pencil on artist stock


 What or who inspires you?

I’m inspired by fantasy. I remember as a child, looking at beautiful artwork of phantasmal paintings of sea monsters attacking ships, asteroids and life on far-off planets, or imagined, or mythical creatures, and I loved it because it is so mysterious. Even today, our knowledge is limited and that will always spark my imagination.

I have always been inspired by Mary Cassatt, Leonardo da Vinci, Yayoi Kusama, Sturtevant, Georgia O’Keefe, and Salvador DalĂ­. All are very talented individuals and created amazing pieces that inspire me today.


Cavy, Powdering with a background overlay on artist stock

Can you give an advice for other hopefuls and skilful people?

I often hear people tell me things like, “I wish I could draw” or “I don’t have a creative bone in my body,” but that isn’t true. Anyone can draw or paint. You have to forgot what your art school teacher taught you. When it comes to drawing, the mind works differently than the technique many teachers use. One method to trick the mind into overcoming its blocks is to draw your subject upside down. I do have another method but it really needs to be shown. I do plan to create a demonstration video for our blog as I have successfully taught it to children and adults who did not believe they could draw. 

As for people who are already showing artistic talent, the best advice I can give you is to practice what you love. Never let yourself become complacent. You must always strive to challenge your skills every day. Allow your imagination to take you places and then create what you see and what you feel. That is art.

I never allow myself to be boxed in to any one set of parameters. I detest labels because they set boundaries. As a child, I was always told I couldn’t do something because I was “a girl,” or certain expectations were forced upon me for the same reasons. Phooey to that logic. An artist is an artist. Art does not care what body parts    you have, who you love, who you worship. It flows through you like energy. Stop restricting yourself, let it flow. That is how I created Powdering and Anime         Figuratives, because I  ignored the labels, went with the flow of energy, and never stopped asking ‘what if,’ or ‘why not.’ Art is never static, it is always flowing because it tells a story, even though it is but a moment in time, that story continues if you give the artwork a chance.   

Exclusive Morning, mixed media (Powdering/Graphic Art overlay) on
artist stock

Monsters in Me, Graphite Pencil on artist stock
                                                                                             


Special thanks to Si Black for taking the time out to do this interview.

For further information and how to get in contact check out this website: /http://codenamesic.com/



Interview was done by BJ
All photos belong to Si Black and all of them are contributed by her. 








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Award Winning Author, J.S.Burke.

Meet Yollie, a self-taught artist from Down Under